Photo by Rob Scheuerman

Monday, September 13, 2010

Dirty Projectors and Staying Up All Night

I went to see the Dirty Projectors playing at Terminal 5 on Saturday and it was really inspirational. Dave Longstreth kept evoking a young David Byrne for me - that is, he seemed so in control. But as a front man he comes off much more genuine, because there is none of the awkwardness. They are such incredible musicians. Their songs are wildly hard to play (trying learning to play and sing one of them yourself!) The last time I saw them was at Williamsburg Waterfront, and this time they were much more rocking. The place was sold out - about 1500 people I heard. They really put on a show and I loved it.

It really helped me reconnect with the reasons why I make anything at all. Which has something to do with emotional connection, and inexpressible stuff... Not easy to say why the show made me think of that, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how the music and performance affected me in a deep and meaningful way that doesn't happen very often. The way it made me FEEL. Very inspiring. It also has to do with how dedicated they all are. One part of music is being awed by technical prowess, and the Dirty Projectors definitely do that. It evokes feelings of appreciation and a desire to work harder myself.

After the show I stayed up all night with Steve and then we worked in Central Park setting up a breast cancer awareness 5k. Staying up all night makes it really difficult to have any kind of composure. I'm going to avoid it as much as I can from now on. It makes me think about going on tour in November and how the sleep will be...

No comments:

Post a Comment