So I finished my film White Warriors, and started submitting it to film festivals! I made a kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880722589/white-warriors-a-short-film-by-mickey-sanchez
I named this blog Calm Islands because it was a name I thought of for a long piece of writing I was working on for awhile - basically an idea for the name of a novel. It's also a place I like to imagine - and also a name for the place inside of you where you can go to be very serene. Or people who help you do that. A calm person or place among all the other un-calm stuff.
It's nice to have finished my film and I am so happy and thankful for everyone who was a part of it.
What spurred me into making this blog is because I wanted to share something I've been doing for the past few weeks. I've been making 2 little promises to myself that I try to keep for a week. Here are my two for this week:
1. I will be vegan for a week.
This one has been going on for three weeks, but I keep making accidental little mistakes. Like the first week I ate a tootsie roll and some dark chocolate hershey kisses. Not so bad, but I kind of knew in the back of my mind that they had some milk stuff in them and ate them anyway, so that makes it worse. Then last week I had some bake beans that I just learned yesterday were pork baked beans. And today without thinking, I cleaned some of that same baked bean sauce off my finger by tasting it. Oops. I'd like to get this one without any mishaps, so I'll have a re-do again. Now that I'm done with school I've had enough presence of mind to get back into not-eating-meat.
2. I will not say anything cynical or sarcastic (or bordering on it) for a week.
This one is super hard. I haven't even really been paying attention hard enough, but when I was the first day something slipped out almost immediately. And today I definitely said some cynical/sarcastic stuff about the retirees I was catering for to my friend Kyle. This takes a ton of awareness/attention at every moment of speaking. I think to get there takes a really deep change and an understanding of why saying cynical/sarcastic things is even bad - which I don't completely have.
Cool.
Here are some links to some older blogs that I finished it you are interested:
http://vibesfromrobinsnest.blogspot.com/ <<< This is the blog of the house I lived in with my friends/bandmates this summer in Warwick, NY that we called the Robin's Nest.
http://mickeysanchezenduranceblog.blogspot.com/ <<< This is a finished blog I made about a performance piece I did where I walked from my parent's house in Succasunna, NJ to my apartment in Manhattan.
No comments:
Post a Comment